Saturday, January 16, 2016

Skatemance

So, there's this guy.

He's been in my life for several years, but not in that way. I just thought of him as Stanley's hockey coach, who was often available to babysit, and who had an intuitive sense of offering helpful and thoughtful gestures.

Shortly after I moved to Memphis, I visited Texas with the high honor of marrying my best friend to her love. While I was in town, he asked if we could meet up to catch up. Sure! And it was there that I saw something surprising, something I had never seen before. 

As I shared this with a small trusted circle, I learned that many of them had suspected his affections for a while. They encouraged me to see where it might go. 

Several months later...

While I was happy before, in that I felt really comfortable with my life and loved my family, my job, my church, and was not feeling anything lacking, I have not been this happy in a really long time. Once Michael entered the picture, everything was just better, brighter, happier. 

For the first time in my life, I have a partner, a wonderful partner who is supportive, hilarious, creative, kind, and generous. When we're together, we laugh, we talk about things we've read, we dance, we think, we cook, and we embrace the magic of the little moments that make the difference between existence and really living. 

It's like the last scene of The Cutting Edge, when they finally skate their long program perfectly, but they're mostly smiling because they've found the real prize - each other. 

What happens when a figure skater falls in love with a hockey player? #skatemance

Displaying IMG_1037.JPG

No comments: